In this episode of the podcast I am happy to welcome Brandon Williams from Iron Edison battery company to talk about long lived nickel-iron batteries and why they are so much better than the more common lead acid batteries for off grid home power applications. These types of batters are applicable to preppers, the average home owner, and permies who have remote homesteads or need mobile power sources.
In this episode you will learn about:
- How batteries fit into permaculture design.
- The history of nickel-iron batteries.
- The science behind nickel-iron batteries.
- General maintenance for battery systems.
- Advantages of nickel-iron over lead acid batteries - long lived, less toxic, wider temperature range of operation, greater depth of discharge.
- ROI of nickel-iron vs. lead acid.
- How the average suburban household can benefit from a battery backup system.
- Solar panel and battery system integration.
- Mobile power applications.
- The difference between mobile batteries and stationary batteries.
Visit http://www.permaculturevoices.com/2 for show notes.
Direct download: PVP002-06212013.mp3
-- posted at: 10:47am PST